Oh Baby! Mommy Makeover Recovery Tips for Best Results
Between endless diaper changes, midnight feedings, and sleepless nights, you’ll want to make sure your upcoming, much-deserved Mommy Makeover yields the most beautiful results possible, and you get your body back to its pre-baby status sooner. Here’s some informative tips and tricks to ensure the road to recovery is a smooth one.
From star moms to soccer moms, the longtime celebrity cosmetic staple comprised of a customized package of body contouring procedures, colloquially referred to as the Mommy Makeover, is one of the most sought-after plastic surgery procedures. Here’s how to make the most out of the plastic surgery package popularized by some of the world’s most influential leading ladies.
What is a Mommy Makeover?
A Mommy Makeover is a customized combination of body-contouring procedures that seek to correct the common, physical changes that occur with pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding. The beauty of the Mommy Makeover is it can be completely custom-tailored to meet the post-baby body goals of the patient. While one woman may require just a breast lift, another may desire a breast augmentation with breast lift, a tummy tuck, liposuction, a body lift, and even a labiaplasty procedure to help rejuvenate the appearance of her vulva. The most highly requested surgical procedures of a Mommy Makeover often tend to focus on the tummy and breast regions due to the natural stretching of the skin, tissue, and muscles in both the breasts and abdominal areas during pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding. Some women are lucky enough to enjoy a full “bounce back” of their body’s original pre-pregnancy proportions and youthful skin elasticity, while other new moms find themselves battling the bulge – and the baby’s bottle at 2am! Specialized surgical techniques address layers of loosened, lax skin, asymmetrical and “deflated” breasts riddled with stretch marks, misshapen belly buttons, and a seemingly budge-proof “pooch.”
Mommy Makeover Procedures
The following is a most-wanted list of cosmetic procedures that may comprise a Mommy Makeover package:
- Breast augmentation with silicone-gel or saline implants, as well as fat transfer
- Breast lift with or without implants
- Breast reduction
- Tummy tuck
- Circumferential abdominoplasty (body lift of the tummy, thigh, and buttock regions)
- BBL (Brazilian Butt Lift)
As mentioned earlier, some women may choose one or two procedures to help her realize her aesthetic goals, while another may request all procedures. The decision to undergo a plastic surgery procedure is a deeply personal one and every body is different, including how each individual responds to the body-changing effects of pregnancy. Every woman’s experience with bringing a baby into the world, as well as their post-baby plastic surgery journey will be a truly unique one.
The Mommy Makeover: General Overview of Recovery and Results
Like with any surgical procedure, cosmetic notwithstanding, recovery and results will vary from patient to patient. Generally, most patients can expect to return to their normal, everyday activities (including childrearing, school, and/or office work) two weeks post-op and 4-6 weeks for more strenuous activities, including working out, lifting, and manual labor. Patients will need to be cleared by their doctor before returning to any physical activities. While swelling, soreness, and bruising will be experienced for the first few weeks post-op, results will be immediate and permanent, continuing to reveal themselves and improve as swelling and bruising subside and the road to recovery ends. Depending on which procedure(s) the patient has decided to undergo, they’ll be fitted with a compression garment/binder that should be worn around the torso/tummy area for tummy tuck recovery (if a tummy tuck was performed) at all times, save for bathing. Compression garments help decrease swelling, drain fluids, and help sculpt a more cinched, chiseled, and taut tummy. Depending on the surgeon and the recommended set of surgical procedures, Mommy Makeovers can usually be performed in a single day on an out-patient basis. However, if multiple procedures are desired, they may need to be conducted over multiple sessions due to safety concerns for the patient.
The Mommy Makeover: Recovery Tips & Tricks for Surgery Success
Whether a new mom or the veteran matriarch, tending to others’ needs is part of your immutable, undying dedication as a mother, and understandably so. It’s important to remember that after undergoing a Mommy Makeover, you’ll need to take some time out for yourself, as an optimal amount of rest, relaxation, and respite in general are essential for a quicker recovery time with beautiful results. Your Mommy Makeover is an investment not only in your physical body, but your emotional well-being and long-term body image. (Reach out to our office to learn more about Mommy Makeover costs and receive a custom quote) You need to be happy and pleased with the results of the surgeries you had invested so much money and time. The following is a list of quick tips to ensure the dreaded downtime period doesn’t last too long:
- Take a load off – literally – and get used to lounging around in your PJs or ratty bathrobe. It’s all about you for the next few weeks.
- Enlist help around the house, including chores, shopping, and childcare.
- Wear loose-fitted, uber-comfortable clothing, such as loungewear, pajamas, or sweatpants.
- Refrain from lifting (even your children) for 1-2 weeks post-op or until further notice from your doctor.
- Take any prescribed medication, including stool softeners, as directed.
- Steer clear from blood thinners and anti-inflammatories, such as aspirin/ibuprofen, for three weeks prior to surgery and for 2 weeks after surgery to avoid hematoma (excessive bleeding).
- Sleep in a neutral position, preferably on your back with head slightly elevated.
- Stop smoking!
- Eat a nutrient-dense diet rich in wholesome, healing foods, such as fresh fruit, crisp veggies, and lean cuts of meat and poultry, including fatty fish.
- Once cleared by your doctor, exercise regularly to maintain desired results.
Because you’ll be unable to fully shower/bathe the first few days post-op, you should consider stocking up on the following “no water needed” beauty products and accessories:
- No-slip socks to avoid unwanted falls or spills
- Dry shampoo to keep your ‘do feeling, looking, and smelling fresh
- Body oil, butter, or lotion and lip balm to keep skin and pout moist and supple (avoid adding any product to incisions unless otherwise directed by your doctor)
Dr. Johnson Lee’s Mommy Makeovers are personalized packages of his famous, signature cosmetic procedures designed for your post-baby body goals. If you’ve had a baby and/or are finished childrearing and want to restore your body back to its pre-baby status, a made-just-for-you Mommy Makeover may be just what the doctor ordered. For inspiration, take a look at Dr. Johnson Lee’s Mommy Makeover Before and After Gallery. We invite you to call our Beverly Hills office to speak with any one of our highly knowledgeable, caring, and compassionate team members to help answer any questions you may have and to set up a personal consultation with Dr. Johnson Lee.